Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Broken New Year's Resolution!

Well 2013 was not our healthiest year... we had about six ER trips, two ambulance rides and entirely too many medical bills. Our New Years Resolution was to stay healthy and not meet our max-out-of pocket...again! Well we didn't get off to a very good start. As mentioned we (Mason & Miller) got sick our last few days in Disneyland. Well we got home and I took Miller straight to Urgent Care...verdict double ear infection and pink eye. Awesome. 


Next day... 104.9 (it got higher) degree temp. I can't keep it down and now Mason has pink eye so we take them both in to our pediatrician. Dr. File says Miller doesn't have an ear infection (way to go Urgent Care) and that they do both have pink eye and probably a virus that is causing the fever. they send us home but say if Miller's fever doesn't go down to come back. Fast forward two miserable days...




Miller's fever doesn't come down. We bring him back in. They want to run a urine test and blood tests. They have to do a catheter (worst thing ever!), but he was so dehydrated that they can't get any urine so they send us straight to the ER. 


We spend three days in the hospital. They gave him lots of fluids and rectal Tylenol (because he refused to take any and was burning up.) They do an x-ray and the verdict is - viral pneumonia.


 During our three days stay we ripped out three IV's, had three antibiotic shots and NO SLEEP! Okay, maybe just Mom got no sleep!


Miller got visits from Grandma and Grandpa and they also helped out with Mason! I can't imagine not living near family! It's such a blessing. Miller would have never been able to go home if it wasn't for Grandpa. Grandpa FINALLY got him to DRINK! 


Once we got home and got some good sleep we've recovered quickly. Minus our daily does of antibiotics which is basically like World War III! [And I wish I was joking!}


A few days after getting out of the hospital we had our follow-up/18 month check-up. We went down to our 15 month weight and we got a two for one diagnosis of a sinus infection for Mason. YAY for more antibiotics {Hope you sense the sarcasm!} 


And the next day our sick boy had to say goodbye to Daddy! Ugh!
 Hopefully we all feel better soon and we can stay out of the ER! But you can be sure I will be renewing our Life Flight coverage...best $119 dollars I spent all year! 

No comments: